Unfortunately to most North Americans kale is that funny, hard green leafy garnish that comes with their chicken strips and fries. It is always left on the plate and sent back to the restaurant kitchen once all the transfats are consumed. This is tragic as kale is a nutrition power house!
- Kale is actually a form of cabbage (which is a cancer-fighting super star!)
- When tested with the ORAC rating (oxygen radical absorbance capacity – a measure of how well the antioxidants and phytochemicals in plant foods work together as a team to fight the cell-damaging effects of free radicals) kale has the highest rating of any vegetable
- Has powerful cancer-fighting phytochemicals that help protect against breast, cervical and colon cancer
- Helps boost the bodies detoxification enzymes
- Loaded with calcium, iron, vitamins A, C & K, beta carotene, lutein
- Helps protect against macular degeneration
Here are my 3 favourite ways to eat kale:
- Blend as part of a power shake (include other things such as: water/milk/almond milk/coconut mil base, banana, frozen berries, olive oil, ground flax seeds and protein powder). I know this sounds gross, but kale actually has a very mild taste and with these other ingredients, you will not notice the taste.
- Chop finely and add with onions, tomatoes and whatever other veggies you can find to your eggs in the morning
- Steam with onions and organic butter (my lovely wife found this recipe and it is delicious! Since then, kale has become a staple in our house)
Post a Comment